Saturday, April 14, 2012

Animal Cake Pops

If you would have told me 6 months ago that I would be making cake pops "just for fun" once in awhile, I would not have believed you... After my first catastrophic attempt, instead of giving up (which is what I normally do when I am not perfect at something from the first try) I somehow got obsessed with the cake pop. I figured, looking on the internet, that if every north american housewife was able to make these, I sure as hell would too! Lo and behold, I fell in love with these little fellas and now love to look on the internet for inspiration and give my finds my own special touch.
And so this evening, with a splitting headache, I decided to make cake pops, just for fun! And look what came out! I realize it's an odd mix, but I wanted to make a pink elephant, figured, if I am already using pink, why not make a pig, and then I wanted to make a yellow bird and asked my husband what other yellow animal would he like to see...he yelled out giraffe! I made 3 of each, and they came out great (I think), AND my headache is GONE!!!! Ok, I did take 3 advils before starting. But one thing is for sure, 6 months ago, I would have needed 10 advils to get rid of a headache while making cake pops...


Today on the internet I found someone called Cake Pop Princess and she said something about candy clay, so I tried it out and made the elephant's trump with it! I don't love the medium (it's powdered sugar with water-incredibly sweet, almost sickening, probably what gave me the headache...) but it worked out well!


Used the pink to pipe on the wing...not great, but still cute...I didn't have any white candy melts so I couldn't make cuter eyes, I used white sugar pearls instead...do you like the googly effect?


More candy clay for the nose, and chocolate covered sunflower seeds for the ears...


Last but not least...my husband wanted me to paint patches on the giraffe to make it look a bit more real...!


So that's it! My own little Noah's ark...only very few types of animals and well, 3 of each... oh my, has anyone tried to make a type of Noah's ark cake pop extravagganza? Imagine the amount of work in designing so many animals but only making 2 of each! One day...but not for fun in the evening with a splitting headache...!! Hope you like these!!

1 comment: