Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Feminine Horsefly Cookies!!!

Ok, so this cookie making adventure actually started with a cupcake order. A wonderful work collegue of mine wanted about 40 mini cupcakes for a fieldtrip with 20 other of my work collegues. She asked a few months ago, and the theme was going to be alcohol...or at least I had to deliver something with a bit of booze in there to get the ladies warmed up!! But realizing how much I love to make cookies, she changed her order about a month ago, to 20 pretty decorated cookies and 40 tasty ones. For those, no problem, black and white cookie all the way!!! But the pretty cookies... then she gave me a theme. An old Swiss song about, well I am not too sure what it's about, but in the refrain, it's about horseflies going over the Gotthard pass. And I had a flash that these 20 work collegues of mine were the horseflies, but cute! So I looked on the internet for inspiration and found NONE!!! What to do? Well, actually, pretty easy, ask my very talented brother to draw me a feminine horsefly! And this is the sketch he came up with, in 10 minutes he later revealed-this would have taken me a week to figure out how to draw...I loved it immediately and tried to figure out how to make every cookie unique, while using this sketch...(don't you love that her legs lengthen into high heel shoes???)


And this is what I came up with. I tried to make every fly have different colours, different wings, some with sparkle, others without, and slightly different purse shapes. I added a tiny fondant flower on every one of them to make even more feminine.
I needed a few very glamourous ones as well, they got sunglasses and loads of sparkling things...


The blue here was actually a very pretty purple, but my camera doesn't capture that colour correctly...




 Here is the entire lot of them!


 And finally, I got some treat bag labels designed on etsy for 7.- Francs, printed them out, and voilà! A nice souvenir of their trip, or a horsefly that one is happy to get in one's mouth! I hadn't told my collegue I would be making a special treat bag, I think it was a good step to take though, makes it look so much more finished and cute!


So that's that! My horsefly cookies, the funnest I have made till now, and thank you to my brother, Chris Keller, for the fantastic sketch. I hope I get unusual requests in the future so as to get more original sketches from him for my cookies again!!
Next time, mother's day cookies! Look in again at the end of the week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment